Thursday, February 4, 2010

At the Drive-In: Relationship of Command

(Virgin, 2000)

Discovery: I'm not entirely sure how I came to discover ATDI, but I believe I heard one of their songs on either a compilation or soundtrack of some sort. I didn't really fully appreciate them in their prime, and unfortunately they are one of the bands I love that I have never seen (nor will ever see) live. Shame shame. There are rumours of a reunion though, so keep those fingers crossed and look for former members in The Mars Volta (Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez) and Sleepercar (Jim Ward).

Result: This third and final offering from
At the Drive-in is a fantastic post-hardcore offering of a musical style mixing hardcore, aggressive music and melody that has many times been copied but not often perfected like this band does. I should definitely own more ATDI. For those just discovering them, I would recommend the anthology "This Station is Non-Operational" as a jumping off point, as it gives you a great overview featuring 18 songs and is readily available (released by Fearless Records in 2005).

Stand-out Tracks: "One-Armed Scissor", "Enfilade", "Catacombs"


No comments:

Post a Comment