Monday, February 8, 2010

Avengers: We Are the One

(CD Presents, 1983)

Discovery:  My discovery of the Avengers came during the phase in my life when I was obsessed with old school punk rock, including a brief study into the variety of female musicians in the scene.  Singer Penelope Houston became a bit of an icon to me, as I'm sure she inspired a host of other girls both in those formative punk rock years (1977-78) and long after.

Result:  This is a compilation of sorts, compiled by the band from recordings done over the three years of their existence.  It gives a good overview of the Avengers music, and is probably the only vinyl you'd be able to find given the rarity of any original recordings.  While there is nothing spectacular about this record, I always find it inspiring to listen to music from a time when punk rock WAS punk rock, and to pay respects where they are due to bands that influenced a movement.

Stand-out Tracks: "We Are the One", "I Believe in Me", "Corpus Christie"


No comments:

Post a Comment