Friday, February 5, 2010

Audio Karate: Lady Melody

(Kung Fu, 2004)

"Last time I'll have to explain my withdrawal"

Discovery: Remember compilations? Cheap records featuring a variety of bands from a record label or festival, back when record labels ruled and you knew if you liked one band on a label, you had a good chance of liking a few more. I first heard Audio Karate on a Kung Fu comp called "Punk Rock is Your Friend". I believe it was $5 or something, and the title and some of the other acts on it caught my young attention.

Result: This album from the Californian quartet was produced by Bill Stevenson, and features great, dark, pop-punk anthems. I should listen to this album more often, because it is a dynamic collection of songs with distinctive vocals, hooky guitars and the type of punk rock angst that shows personal struggle and maturity.

Stand-out Tracks: "Jesus is Alive and Well (and Living in Mexico)", "Ms. Foreign Friendly", "Gypsyqueen"


No comments:

Post a Comment